Sunday, July 22, 2012

Writer's Block

Within the last week or two I decided that I would like to try writing some poetry. As a writer, I decided that the infamous subject of writer's block would make for an interesting subject for such an attempt. Inspired by the combined lightheartedness and finesse of words of Dr. Seuss, I humbly present the following. By no means, though, do I attempt to compete with who may easily be acclaimed as a master of the subject of poetry.


Writer’s Block

I sat on my couch and thought and thought
Of what to say or write
Perhaps a story or a poem
Would satisfy tonight

But alas! To no avail!
My mind couldn’t comprehend
Where in heavens to begin,
Much less where it all would end

So I sat there, like a lump
A formless lump of clay.
I thought and sat, and thought some more
And wasted the day away

Take heed, dear aspiring writer,
There’s a lesson to be found;
Time, though good, is ill-spent
If words are nowhere written down

So write and write! Though you may find
That nonsense seems to abound
Don’t worry, my friend, within that mass
Good readings may be found

It may seem silly, all that nonsense
But writing those ideas down
Will help with fishing out the good ones
Perhaps funny or profound

Through all, keep on trying
Though sometimes you may travail,
But if you keep on writing
There is no way to fail 

Copyright Jackson Kerr, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment